Tag The Longhorn Farmwife: I found something my kids love to share!

Sunday, June 8, 2014

I found something my kids love to share!

Do your kids love to share?  My kids are 2, 4, and 5, and they think that sharing is the worst idea ever invented.  With their ages being so close together, it's an impossible dilemma to avoid, because they are interested in most of the same things. 



Today, however, was one of those 'aha' moments when I discovered there was something my children actually love to share with each other....their sickness!  I swear this week my kids are in a competition to see who can have the highest fever.  My 2-year-old started at 102.8 on Thursday, then my 5-year-old got up to 103.2 on Friday, and tonight my 4-year-old son registered at 103.4. 

Fevers are a scary thing for this mom, and others I'm sure.  I know how bad I feel when I have one, so I understand their pain and do everything I can.  Tylenol, warm baths, fluids, cool washcloths, etc.  But when should you call the doctor?  I don't want to be the mom that runs to the ER every time my kids shows the slightest problem, but I also don't want to ignore something that needs medical attention either.  This is easily one of my biggest struggles as a mother and after 5 1/2 years, I'm still not sure I'm getting it right.

 
 

I have found an app for my IPhone that I really like called the ChildrensMD Symptom Checker Mobile App from the Children's Hospital Colorado.  It has a symptom checker and care advice, as well as guidelines for when you need to seek medical attention and how quickly that attention needs to be sought after.  Plus, it's free!



The kids are down for the night, and the plan for tomorrow is a day of rest for everyone to recover from our week of illness.  I hope they continue with their restful sleep so Mommy can get rested and ready to face a new day.  I should get some sleep while I can!




What are your go-to interventions to make your children more comfortable during a fever?  When do you decide it's time for a trip to the doctor.  I would love to hear advice from other moms on this topic!  Now, off to bed for me to pray for a better tomorrow!


3 comments:

  1. Fevers are the worst! It is the one thing that you don't know why or where they got it and it can be high or low and cause problems. I will have to check out the app you mentioned as well, thanks!

    Glad you linked up with the Country Fair Blog Party #15! So glad to have you join in on the fun!
    Laurie - Country Link

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my kiddos are REALLY good about sharing their sicknesses, too, lol. I hope your little ones are feeling better, Melissa. I am going to have to check out that app for peace of mind. It sounds a lot more gentle than googling ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can definitely make yourself crazy googling children's symptoms! The internet likes to scare you. We are all healthy now, and hopefully illness stays away for awhile!

      Delete