Tag The Longhorn Farmwife: The 'Mommy Reality' of my laundry room

Friday, June 27, 2014

The 'Mommy Reality' of my laundry room

Laundry.  It is the bane of my existence.  As a new farm wife, I can remember using the stain remover on every grease, grass, and manure spot and folding each piece of clothing nicely and putting them away in the dresser.  Then my three beautiful children appeared, and well, let's just say, my husband's laundry became a lesser priority!

With the laundry room in the basement and the dressers 2 stories up, it was difficult to leave the children unattended to move clothes like I needed to, so we came up with a solution.  My husband would just undress downstairs and leave his clothes by the washer and I would leave clean clothes there in a dresser so that his stinky farm clothes didn't get mixed in with the good stuff.

At first, this worked great.  I still folded things and put them away, but as time has passed it has become much easier to just leave them unfolded in a hamper for him to grab whatever he needed to wear for the day.  Somehow, the dirty clothes on the floor never seem to stop growing.  I have no idea where they are coming from, but as I do each load of laundry, the pile of the floor seems to grow exponentially.  No one goes in the basement, so that little corner of my life has remained a secret of the chaos in my house for a long time.  Until last week.....

I have started participating in the Mommy Reality Challenge on www.leapfrogsandlipgloss.com, www.jenerallyinformed.com, and www.alavenderlife.com.  Each Friday, they give us mothers a reality check in the form of a challenge to showcase our truth as busy mothers.  Last Friday's challenge was the laundry room, which I instantly knew I could win, but was I ready to put myself out there like that?  Subject to judgement and ridicule?  I decided I was, because anyone who claims that being a wife or mother or both doesn't cause a little chaos is full of it!  Maybe seeing my mess would give another mom a little peace of mind knowing that she isn't alone in her insanity.  The result of my entry: a win of course!  I haven't won a lot of contests in my life, and maybe I should examine why I'm excited that it was my mess that won, but who cares!  Life is short and this is who I am!  Here is the new meme featuring my entry:

http://instagram.com/p/pwKNn8i6BJ/
http://instagram.com/p/pwKNn8i6BJ/
 
On a side note, my canned goods got me extra credit points!  :-)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your winning mess! :)

    I don't have kids, but my laundry is constantly out of control. We also have a basement laundry room, accessible by narrow stairs with minimal headroom, so just getting the clothes up and down is a pain. I tend to wait until almost everything I need is dirty before I heave a sigh and start processing loads of clothes and linens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I like least is laundry. I also wait until I am about to run out of jeans then I will do my laundry. I will spend time in my office (next room to the laundry) and wait for the beepers. Then it might take me several days to get them upstairs! ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, you have pointed out some excellent points, I as well believe this is a very superb website.
    shirt laundry in Rancho Cucamonga available at Chaffey Cleaners

    ReplyDelete